Roll forming is a proven, highly efficient and energy-saving technology for the production of profiles with complex cross section geometries out of sheet metal with thicknesses from fractions of a millimetre up to 16 mm - in some cases even higher. Usually, various steel alloys and aluminium are manufactured, more recently high-strength to ultra-high-strength steels and fibre composite materials can also be formed. In addition to the production of standard profiles such as U-, angle-, C-, Z- or hat profiles, many companies specialise in the manufacturing of special profiles. These are individually designed and manufactured profile shapes according to customer requirements.
Rolled sections can be found in many industries:
- Logistics: Shelves
- Construction: assembly and formwork systems, roller shutter and sunblind profiles
- Vehicle construction: structural elements, bumpers, side impact parts, interior; longitudinal beams for trucks, vans and omnibuses
- Aircraft and wagon construction
- Furniture industry: guide rails, fittings
- Solar industry: Assembly systems
- Household appliances: Mouldings
- Electrical industry: Switch cabinets
Of great relevance are current trends and demands in the field of lightweight construction (use of high-strength and ultra-high-strength steels), improvement of crash behaviour and reduction of vehicle weight and emissions.
Another important field of application is the manufacturing of longitudinally welded pipes - of the smallest dimensions such as injection needles, boiler and heat exchanger pipes, shaped pipes or OCTG-pipes. The latter are tubes for application in the oil and gas industry, where the highest productivity can be found in terms of the quantities produced.
The special roll tools required for these applications are planned, designed and manufactured worldwide with the help of the roll forming software COPRA® RF Roll Design - with tailor-made tools for the respective customer requirement.